*** Savannah, Georgia – in the Historic District ***
*** We are registered with the City of Savannah as a Short Term Vacation Rental. Jingle Bells Square Cottage – SVR-00032 ***
In the 1850s, the Reverend John Pierpont Jr. was organist and music director of Savannah’s Unitarian Church, which faces onto Troup Square, one of 24 squares in what is now the city’s Historic District. The square is named for former Georgia Governor, Congressman, and Senator, George Troup. During his tenure, Reverend Pierpont wrote the beloved Christmas song Jingle Bells, which was copyrighted in 1857, originally under another title. In 1985, the City of Savannah placed a plaque in Troup Square to commemorate the song and its Savannah roots.
In 1957, singer/songwriter Bobby Helms recorded Jingle Bell Rock, which has been re-recorded by countless other artists on various pop Christmas albums: “Dancing and prancing in Jingle Bell Square/In the frosty air.” Savannah is a city of contrasts and combinations. “Dashing through the snow, in a one-horse open sleigh . . . ,” blended with temperate weather, palm trees, Spanish moss—a fitting mash-up of images for this fascinating city.
Built in 1900, our cottage is in a quiet residential neighborhood 50 yards from Troup Square. The one bedroom, one bath property is single storey—no upstairs or downstairs neighbors. Fully renovated in 2011, it has off-street parking for one small car and ample free street parking—no meters to feed with quarters or $7.00 daily parking permits required. Within easy walking distance of restaurants (there is one within 100 yards), the Savannah riverfront, and all of the fun and fascination of pre-Civil War historic architecture, beautiful landscaping, antique shops, etc.
- Private Deck with outdoor cafe table and chairs and 15-ft-long built-in bench for seating
- Full Gourmet Kitchen with island breakfast bar, quartz countertops, full-size stainless steel refrigerator, gas range, dishwasher, microwave
- Open Plan Dining Room/Living Room. Dining area has 1920’s oak draw-leaf table that can seat six, and a working fireplace. Living Room area has comfortable, queen-size pullout sofa-bed—one that you would actually be happy sleeping on!—custom manufactured by Rowe Furniture in North Carolina, with “Air Dream” innerspring air mattress system.
- In the Bedroom, a Queen-Size Bed. (The manufacturer describes the mattress as ‘Firm’ – not ‘Extra Firm’ , not ‘Soft’. We have purchased an additional memory foam mattress topper. Guests who prefer a firmer mattress can take the topper off during their stay)
- High-Definition Flat-Screen TVs (Living Room, Bedroom and Kitchen) with High-Definition Cable, DVR, DVD Player, Stereo CD player with iPod dock. High-Speed Wireless Internet.
- Phone with a local telephone number and free calls within the Continental US.
- Bathroom with new tub/shower combination
- Carefully furnished with original artworks, framed vintage textiles, antiques, and modern accessories.